Tequila Lime Shrimp and Pierogies
TOTAL TIME 40 MINUTES
PREP TIME 15 MINUTES
- 1 box of Sour Cream and Chive or your favorite variety of Mrs T’s Pierogies
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium-sized shrimp, thawed
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup reposado tequila
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Boil pierogies according to package directions; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and season generously with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add shrimp, season again with salt and pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, tequila, and lime zest. Bring to a simmer and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have cooked down and sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice and butter then stir to combine. Add cooked pierogies and toss in the sauce until warmed through. Stir in chives and serve.