Swedish Meatballs and Pierogies
TOTAL TIME 45 MINUTES
PREP TIME 30 MINUTES
- 1 box of Classic Onion or your favorite variety of Mrs T’s Pierogies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup fine breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup warm milk
- ¼ cup finely grated onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch clove powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Lingonberry jam or whole cranberry sauce, to serve
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Toss pierogies in olive oil, add to baking sheet maintaining a single layer as much as possible. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden.
- While the pierogies are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, onion, garlic paste, allspice, nutmeg and clove in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper then roll into 1 -inch balls. Add butter to the skillet and cook meatballs until well browned all over, 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from pan and reduce heat to medium. Add remaining butter and flour to the pan, stir until slightly thickened then add beef broth and heavy cream. Season to taste and transfer meatballs to the gravy. Simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, serve with pierogies and lingonberry jam or whole cranberry sauce.