Spanish-Style Pork and Pierogy Stew
TOTAL TIME 1¾ HOURS
PREP TIME 15 MINUTES
- 1 box of Classic Onion or your favorite variety Mrs. T's® Pierogies
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium navel orange, cut into quarters (do not peel)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon arbol chili powder
- 1 1/2 pounds pork loin, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, halved, washed, and sliced
- 4 small carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Combine garlic, orange, paprika, and arbol chili powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pureé until smooth, set aside.
- Season pork pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown, stirring occasionally until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add leeks, carrots, and rosemary.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are just starting to brown, about 4 minutes more. Add orange puree and cook, stirring to fry the sauce for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until pork is tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Arrange Mrs. T’s Classic Onion Pierogies on the tray. Spray tops with more nonstick spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden; turn once halfway through baking.
- Add spinach and beans to the stew and stir to melt spinach into the broth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle stew into bowls and top with 1 or 2 pierogies. Serve any extra pierogies on the side for dipping.